AuthorMessage
Orion
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2007-03-03

PostSubject: Three Issues About HIV   Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:18 am

1. AIDS is a huge menace for the public health, but in Africa it also has a deep impact on the economical side. With about 28 million cases of HIV positive and 2 million annual deaths, HIV epidemic in the sub-Saharan Africa is going to cancel the progresses registered in social and economical development. African companies face the increasing employees' absenteeism and death caused by AIDS.

A national railway company lost to AIDS 10% of the personnel while in another one, 3,400 out of the overall 11,500 employees were HIV infected. Farming is on decline, as many farmers die of AIDS. Moreover, there is an increasing lack of education in many African countries, and illiteracy is growing as many families do not have the money, nor time to send their kids to school, while hundreds of teachers die of AIDS.

2. It is estimated that currently between 33.4 and 46 million people live with HIV (the average value means as much as the population of Spain). By now about 25 million people died of AIDS, and research carried in African countries showed that there are 20% more women than men infected with HIV.

In the case of the teenagers, the risk of getting infected with HIV is 5 times higher in girls than in boys. In the last decade, the increase of the injectable drug consume in the former Soviet Union was correlated with a 50% increase of the HIV cases. Worldwide, over half of the HIV positive patients get the disease around the age of 25, and generally die before the age of 35.

3.In India, truck drivers are considered an extremely vulnerable category for getting infected with HIV. Spending long periods of time away from their families, thousands of drivers visit the brothels of Bombay. It is estimated that 50-60% of the about 80,000 Bombay prostitutes are HIV positive.

From Bombay, the drivers cross the country. In the villages located close to the driveway, there are lines of shacks in which the village girls make a buck by having sex with the truck drivers. These places are also visited by rich young men from the nearby cities, and this leads to an entanglement of the virus' transmission.

Moreover, truck drivers believe in a superstition saying that sexual intercourses are essential for keeping a low body temperature, necessary when they drive for hours at high temperatures.

Look Into The Eyes Of Death

Marketing Manager (Linden).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dee

Female
Number of posts : 768
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Three Issues About HIV   Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:04 am

Thanks for bringing to light this issue Orion. HIV/AIDS is a terrible epidemic and everyone can benefit from AIDS awareness. I believe just a couple days ago was World AIDS day. A lot of times there is a lack of knowledge of how HIV is contracted, or there are misperceptions surrounding its contraction. For example, the cultural superstition in Bombay truckers that was pointed out. Some people even erroneously believe that wearing a condom can cause the spread of the HIV virus. It is important for everyone to be aware of the dangers and preventative measures against HIV that we can all take in our own lives as well as the statistics which indicate the severity its impact has had on our world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sexysaveena
Blue Saki
Blue Saki

Female
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Three Issues About HIV   Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:41 pm

A well educating topic and interesting post.Since its all about the Hiv an Aids today.The young people some seem pretty careless and dont give a damn about it cause all on their mind is"getting some"and getting laid"

Not thinking about the consequences after...
Hiv/aids is a terrible illness
Theres no cure for aids only medication to lenghten abit of your time if im correct.

The best way is to abstain
Theres no save way cause condoms are likely to burst or have wholes.

So abstain your 100% save that way from hiv/aids
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/sexysaveena
mizzstarlight
Red-Billed Toucan
Red-Billed Toucan

Female
Number of posts : 2837
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Three Issues About HIV   Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:16 am

it's sad to know that some infected it at birth. poor things. whats more sad is that there's alot of people out there who are just God damn ignorant and refuse to do the right thing. i honestly believe that if parents would be more open with their kids on the entire sex issue maybe HIV spread among teenagers would decline if not by a whole lot , by a little. i mean teenagers are always gonna have the urge to do it but being prepared could save them their lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.whatderass.com
Flame_Angel
Humming Bird
Humming Bird

Female
Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Three Issues About HIV   Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm

sexysaveena wrote:
So abstain your 100% save that way from hiv/aids

That's not entirely correct since it's possible that a person can contract the disease through needles and other means but you're right in that it will greatly reduce the possiblity of contracting the disease.

There are many misconceptions and superstitions about the disease and as a result of them many people lose their lives. I've also heard that there is the misconception in Africa that sleeping with a virgin will cure the disease and men sleep with virgins thinking that they will be cured. It's sad, sickening, and heartbreaking seeing as how the virgins are underage and still children. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm writing this from the best of my knowledge.

Like many have said before, it's important that awareness is raised about this topic so people can be safe and prevent the epidemic from spreading even more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dee

Female
Number of posts : 768
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Three Issues About HIV   Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Well unless you're a junkie or need a blood transfusion abstaining will reduce your chances of contracting HIV significantly for the majority of people. I agree, education and awareness is very important... its sad that there are so many superstitions surrounding this disease and that is why we need to educate people on safe sex methods and what the prevention methods are and aren't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redcabal
Wallababa
Wallababa

Male
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2007-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Three Issues About HIV   Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:03 pm

You know they're more sick ppl in the world than you think? I can remember a story sometime back about this same aids thing right here in guyana and i'ma give yall the 411 on this mind you it's kinda sick.

Well when i was still going to school i read in the newspapers that day that this lady who had the virus will usually invite kids over and you know be the host n all to em have alittle get together with the young'ns n what not until one day she decided that when she was serving her everyday usual kool-aid to cut herself n have the droplets of her blood fall into the cups she were servin em in havin spreading the virus to the poor little toddlers and having reading this story that day made me very very sick and i felt/still feel sorry for em.

Bunch of heartless $%^#s in this place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three Issues About HIV   

Back to top Go down

Three Issues About HIV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1