Guyanesezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guyanesezone

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away

Go down 
+2
Snoopy Snoop
Flame_Angel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Flame_Angel
Humming Bird
Humming Bird
Flame_Angel

Female
Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2007-06-16

'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away Empty
PostSubject: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptySat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 pm

I found this article online. I read about the second Earth before on wikipedia. What are your thoughts on this??

Scientists have discovered a warm and rocky "second Earth" circling a star, a find they believe dramatically boosts the prospects that we are not alone.
The planet is the most Earth-like ever spotted and is thought to have perfect conditions for water, an essential ingredient for life. Researchers detected the planet orbiting one of Earth's nearest stars, a cool red dwarf called Gliese 581, 20 light years away in the constellation of Libra.

Measurements of the planet's celestial path suggest it is 1½ times the size of our home planet, and orbits close to its sun, with a year of just 13 days. The planet's orbit brings it 14 times closer to its star than Earth is to the sun. But Gliese 581 burns at only 3,000C, half the temperature of our own sun, making conditions on the planet comfortable for life, with average ground temperatures estimated at 0 to 40C. Researchers claim the planet is likely to have an atmosphere. The discovery follows a three-year search for habitable planets by the European Southern Observatory at La Silla in Chile.

"We wouldn't be surprised if there is life on this planet," said Stephane Udry, an astronomer on the project at the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland.

Two years ago, the same team discovered a giant Neptune-sized planet orbiting Gliese 581. A closer look revealed the latest planetary discovery, along with a third, larger planet that orbits the star every 84 days. The planets have been named after their star, with the most earthlike called Gliese 581c. The team spotted the planet by searching the "habitable zone".

-Ian Sample, science correspondent
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,2064843,00.html
Back to top Go down
Snoopy Snoop
Hatchling
Hatchling
Snoopy Snoop

Male
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-06-11

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 12:40 am

That’s some discovery, but I don’t think we’ll be living there anytime soon. Besides, even if “they” chose to go there next who will they take? Only the “good” people I suppose the rest will be left here after “they” ruined this planet.
Back to top Go down
Alladin
Screecher Parrot
Screecher Parrot
Alladin

Male
Number of posts : 2063
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 12:46 am

i was watchin dis on tv.. a while bak.. i was amazedd by it. its just reall cool!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/yuhmodaskunt
Beverly89
Beverly89

Female
Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Never heard about it...but nice knowing..
Back to top Go down
http://www.guyanesezone.com
Flame_Angel
Humming Bird
Humming Bird
Flame_Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Snoopy Snoop wrote:
That’s some discovery, but I don’t think we’ll be living there anytime soon. Besides, even if “they” chose to go there next who will they take? Only the “good” people I suppose the rest will be left here after “they” ruined this planet.

uh huh. I think if people can actually go there and live then it's just going to be another planet for us to pollute and ruin Sad. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if they charge people an arm and a leg to go there... it'll just be people that can afford it.

I think I read on the wikipedia article that there's a middle area that's habitable but the other ends are too cold and too hot to be lived on.

My geography lab instructor said he's positive that soon we'll be going to other planets [if not in our lifetime, then the next generations (once there continues to be advancements in technology)] because only around maybe 60 years after the airplane was invented we were already on the moon.

... and I think there is life on other planets and we just don't know about it yet.

It's pretty cool though.
Back to top Go down
mizzstarlight
Red-Billed Toucan
Red-Billed Toucan

Female
Number of posts : 2837
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 1:58 pm

cool?
i honestly think thats scary...
when i heard about it i was freaked out...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whatderass.com
Beverly89
Beverly89

Female
Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 2:31 pm

lolzz..its cool and scary..lolz...

But it would be a great experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guyanesezone.com
Aftermath
Blue Saki
Blue Saki
Aftermath

Male
Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2007-06-11

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Sometimes I really sit to wonder how come money became this powerful, I mean yes it could get us everything we want when you look at it from some perspectives , but when you look at the world today it revolves around money, cause like you guys said even if people where to get a chance to go there it would be the rich ones, and I’m sure they’d charge mad cash, so even though there is a second earth I think the things you’d have to go through to get there and maintain your stay it’s better if you’d stay here. So as much as I’d like to be rather excited I tend not to get my hopes up high of every going to be there.
Back to top Go down
Flame_Angel
Humming Bird
Humming Bird
Flame_Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 10:27 am

Yea I know... knowledge AND money = power. You're right the world does revolve around money. Let's say it is livable on that planet and people could go there and it was a matter of safety because something was threatening our planet, it would be the "big" people that get to go there. The "little" people would be left here to suffer.

I don't even know if I would want to go there (not that I could afford it). There are so many things that could possibly go wrong when people get there too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away   'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away Empty

Back to top Go down

'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away
Page 1 of 1