Guyanesezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guyanesezone

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alcohol

Go down 
+3
evileyes
Aftermath
Flame_Angel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Flame_Angel
Humming Bird
Humming Bird
Flame_Angel

Female
Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2007-06-16

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 4:00 pm

I'm wondering what the other Guyanesezone users' thoughts are about alcohol and drinking. At times I feel that people don't acknowledge the seriousness of it and what it can do.

I've seen it ruin lives, break up families, make friends do things to people that they would never have done otherwise.

Also, feel free to discuss alcoholism in Guyana and the issues that come along with it. When I went to Guyana last December, one of my uncles was talking and I remember he said that a lot of businesses aren't doing well but rum is the most successful business.
Back to top Go down
Aftermath
Blue Saki
Blue Saki
Aftermath

Male
Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2007-06-11

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Well I’m not an over abuser of alcohol, but it’s a very destructive elements to lives in many ways: health wise, also family friend wise. It also has effects on the human brain.

Affects of alcohol on the brain:

Difficulty walking, blurred vision, slurred speech, slowed reaction times, impaired memory.

Some of these impairments are detectable after only one or two drinks and quickly resolve when drinking stops. On the other hand, a person who drinks heavily over a long period of time may have brain deficits that persist well after he or she achieves sobriety.

A number of factors influence how and to what extent alcohol affects the brain including:
• how much and how often a person drinks;
• the age at which he or she first began drinking, and how long he or she has been drinking;
• the person’s age, level of education, gender, genetic background, and family history of alcoholism;
• whether he or she is at risk as a result of prenatal alcohol exposure; and
• his or her general health status.

There is so much more, you could continue doing your research.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm

But on a serious note though, you should try to stay away from alcohol due to the fact that it is life ruining and you lose more than you gain in the long run, so it’s better you stay away from it as best as u can, especially if you don’t have limits, also choose your friends right before you get pressured into it.
Back to top Go down

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 5:43 pm

I drink alcohol ocassionly for parties and reunions alcohol has caused alot of death in my family and sumtimes i try 2 stay away from it but when i'm stressed out dats my only friend i don't know why i do it it relax's my mind make my thought's go away
Back to top Go down
evileyes
Blue Saki
Blue Saki
evileyes

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-07-19

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 11:07 pm

I drink ocassionally 2 but i try not 2 over do it.
My dad use to drink alot n a few yrs after my bro n I were born he stopped , he use to behave real bad but i guess he stopped coz he didn't want his kids 2 see him like that. Iknow of a lot of ppl jus drinkin their life away, all the money they work for they jus spend it on rum. I guess those r the ppl who don't know the dangers they put their life n their family's lives 2. Nothing wrong wid havin a drink u jus need 2 know ur limit.
Back to top Go down

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 am

evileyes wrote:
My dad use to drink alot n a few yrs after my bro n I were born he stopped , he use to behave real bad but i guess he stopped coz he didn't want his kids 2 see him like that. Iknow of a lot of ppl jus drinkin their life away, all the money they work for they jus spend it on rum. I guess those r the ppl who don't know the dangers they put their life n their family's lives 2. Nothing wrong wid havin a drink u jus need 2 know ur limit.
dats soo true hun i agree with you 100%
Back to top Go down
Alladin
Screecher Parrot
Screecher Parrot
Alladin

Male
Number of posts : 2063
Registration date : 2007-04-12

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 2:05 am

drinkin is bad =x lolz
i stoped!..
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/yuhmodaskunt
Flame_Angel
Humming Bird
Humming Bird
Flame_Angel

Female

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 9:57 am

evileyes wrote:

yepp, I agree with you. I hate rum with a passion because it took a lot of things away from me and people in my family and it ruined lives too (I'm not gonna go into specifics Sad ).

You're lucky that your dad stopped and thought about his kids because some people don't think so far as to how it will affect the people close to them. A lot of alcoholics even deny they have a problem, despite the fact that they may put off paying bills or use the money they were supposed to use on bills on rum instead.

I feel sorry for the kids. When I was younger I actually thought it was normal for a person to take a drink when they woke up early in the morning. I thought everyone did it. It was only until I was in my early teens, I think, when I heard someone say "it's too early to drink it's not even 1 o'clock yet" that I realized it wasn't normal. I think that should show how much of an influence parents can have on their child's thinking. When children grow up with that being the norm then they really believe that it is and it makes it easier for them to fall into the same habits.

Yes, it's important to know your limit, but it's also so easy for people to go over their limit without realizing it OR to start turning to alcohol for support instead of going to another person to talk and help make their problems better. Although a person may think that rum makes them forget about their problems, that's only temporary... it's not gonna help make the problems go away.

... then there's the damage it does to your liver.
Back to top Go down
evileyes
Blue Saki
Blue Saki
evileyes

Female

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 12:22 pm

Yeh i know ppl get carried away after a few drinks...I'm so sry 4 wht has happened Flame. Some ppl jus don't listen when u try talin 2 dem they say " oh u jus wanna take all the fun away from me" , oh plz!!
ALCOHOL SOLVES NOTHING NEITHER DOES IT GIVE ANYTHING.
I jus hope ppl can get that tru their skull
Back to top Go down
-andy-
Spurwing
Spurwing
-andy-

Male
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2007-04-14

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 2:32 pm

wow lol aladin u stopped drinkin what has this world come to
Back to top Go down
http://www.hi5.com.firelink
Beverly89
Beverly89

Female
Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2007-03-21

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 7:41 pm

Well, I don't think Alcohol is bad. A little alcohol is good for your body. But not too much as those drunkard consume.
I drink once in a while, once a month.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guyanesezone.com
AnGeL_EyeSz07
Screecher Parrot
Screecher Parrot
AnGeL_EyeSz07

Female
Number of posts : 2463
Registration date : 2007-06-17

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 10:45 pm

A little bit of alcohol is good for you once in a while. It's not good to go over the limit because it can ruin you.
Back to top Go down
Flame_Angel
Humming Bird
Humming Bird
Flame_Angel

Female

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 9:58 am

yea, it's true that a little bit of it does actually have some health benefits, once you don't go overboard.

For example having one to two glasses of red wine a day helps to prevent heart disease and cancer and it's good for your cholesterol levels and blood pressure.

http://www.red-wine-and-health.com/

but of course too much of a good thing is bad.
Some people just don't know their limits No
Back to top Go down

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 1:22 pm

wow i never knew two glasses of red wine a day helps to prevent heart disease and cancer
Back to top Go down
evileyes
Blue Saki
Blue Saki
evileyes

Female

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 10:56 pm

i didn't either
Back to top Go down

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyThu Aug 02, 2007 6:55 am

yeah thats sumtin new i gotta start drink sum red wine lol
Back to top Go down

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 5:23 am

what do red wine have in it to prevent heart diease and cancer?
Back to top Go down
Beverly89
Beverly89

Female
Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2007-03-21

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Red wine as prevention from heart health benefit.

Red Wine Heart benefitsDoes red wine protect against heart disease? Maybe. Many studies investigated the benefits of red wine suggested that moderate amount of red wine (one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men) lowers the risk of heart attack for people in middle age by ~ 30 to 50 percent. It is also suggested that alcohol such as red wine may prevent additional heart attacks if you have already suffered from one. Other studies also indicated that red wine can raise HDL cholesterol (the Good cholesterol) and prevent LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) from forming. Red wine may help prevent blood clots and reduce the blood vessel damage caused by fat deposits. Indeed, studies showed that people from the Mediterranean region who regularly drank red wine have lower risks of heart disease

What's in Red Wine that are good for heart?

Red wine is a particularly rich source of antioxidants flavonoid phenolics, so many studies to uncover a cause for red wine's effects have focused on its phenolic constituents, particularly resveratrol and the flavonoids. Resveratrol, found in grape skins and seeds, increases HDL cholesterol and prevent blood clotting. Flavonoids, on the other hand, exhibit antioxidant properties helping prevent blood clots and plaques formation in arteries.

Should I start drinking more red wine now?

The answer is No. Studies showed that alcohol drinking may increase triglycerides (another Bad blood lipids) and result in weight gain due to its empty calories. Other studies also suggested that alcohol consumption is associated with cancer risk. Read Alcohol and Cancer. The American Heart Association cautions people NOT to start drinking if they do not already drink alcohol. If you already drink alcohol, do so in moderation. AHA recommends one to two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women. (A drink is one 12 oz. beer, 4 oz. of wine, 1.5 oz. of 80-proof spirits, or 1 oz. of 100-proof spirits.)

Key: Grapes, many other fruits and vegetables and regular physical activities offer the same benefits for heart as seen in alcohol. Include a variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet to maximize the heart health benefits.

http://www.healthcastle.com/redwine-heart.shtml
Back to top Go down
http://www.guyanesezone.com
-andy-
Spurwing
Spurwing
-andy-

Male
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2007-04-14

Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcohol   Alcohol EmptyThu Aug 23, 2007 12:42 pm